Monday, October 29, 2007

Alpacas Galore: 2007 Empire Alpaca Extravaganza

While many knitters were enjoying the weekend at the infamous Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY, my DH and I stopped by the 2007 Empire Alpaca Extravaganza hosted by the Empire Alpaca Association. Not quite Rhinebeck, but it was free and only about 15 minutes from home. Now I like alpaca's. I wish I had one... or two, but since I can't even have a cat in my apartmen I doubt I could get away with a medium-sized domesticated camelid.

The event took place at one of the buildings at the NY State Fairgrounds. How many Alpacas can a NYS Fairgounds building hold? Lots! (EAA says 750+)

Here are some pics for your enjoyment, all taken by the husbeast.









There was one display that was selling some ready made alpaca gear, some yarn, and some roving at pretty decent prices. But as a whole this event seemed to be geared toward alpaca owners and people looking to buy alpacas. However, looking at all the alpacas and trying to pet them (many didn't seem like they wanted to be bothered) while trying figure out if I could squeeze one of the yearlings in the back of my Forester was well worth it. Maybe I'll drop a comment to the organizers about having a little more to offer for fiber enthusiasts. ;)

No comments: