Sunday, September 03, 2006

Knitted Happiness

I contemplated last night while I finishing the Simple Stripes sock how much I love knitting. Specifically, my adoration for such simple and clean touches like twisted rib and the kitchener stitch toe. There is something so neat and tidy about them. Maybe I'm attracted to these neat and tidy things because by nature I am NOT neat and tidy. I am the poster girl for disorder. But I am so proud of myself when I do things like this:


Well, the colors don't make it look real tidy, but you get the idea. I love finishing toes with kitchener's stitch. At first I thought it was sort of tricky, but then I discovered that there is a certain rhythm to it: knit, drop, purl/purl, drop, knit, and so on. The seamless connection is clean and professional.


Ah, twisted rib! Oh, how I love thee! I think most knitters would agree that twisted rib is WAY nicer than plain old 1x1 rib. The knit stitches are nice and snug and don't loose their structure when stretched. Genius! So last night after completing the sock I just sat there admiring the little details. Taking a few minutes to appreciate the act of knitting rather than just the finished object.

And then I tried it on and realized that the size was suited for a pre-teen rather than an adult. So next stop: Frogsville >.<

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love grafting the toe using the Kitchener stitch. There's no better way! Your sock looks great.

Katie Collette said...

Doh! The details are still awesome. :)

Erin said...

They are lovely, even if you have to take it apart. By the way, where did you learn the twisted rib technique, I've actually never tried it.