Saturday, August 05, 2006

Like the new digs?

Welcome to the all-new Eat-Sleep-Knit!

The tour begins after this brief introduction:

I didn't feel the generic Blogger template was really a unique reflection of me, as corny as that may sound. I want to make impression, dang-namit! And as some of you may know I would like to start posting some patterns so I felt that this place needed a cleaner, more professional look. In order to do that I had to immerse myself in the basics of HTML and CSS and I read up on some good ways to personalized your site and increase traffic. Easier said then done. There is definite potential for this stuff to turn your brains into gloppy-goop. But don't let that intimidate you.

Which brings us to the first stop on the tour: The banner. Mr.V in his infinite talent (and sweetness) created my very own banner using Photoshop. He also helped me place the banner neatly in the center of the page. 3 Cheers for Mr.V! (he's also helped me figure out other formatting issues that just seemed to elude me. Isn't he greatest?)

Stop Two: The elusive 3rd column. I just really like the look of 3 column formats. I needed to have one, but alas, three column-ers are not offered by Blogger. But that's where Pam Blackstone at Random Bytes comes in! 3 Cheers to Pam Blackstone! NOTE: to view all three columns you must have your window fully maximized.

Stop Three: Ah, color! Sweet pigmented, visible energy! It's brightened up a bit and I think this works quite well. If you think the background color is a little over-powering though, please let me know. I care about your retinas, really I do.

And the rest is self-explanatory. I hid most of my profile info because it pushed other important sidebar content too far down the page, plus this site isn't about ME it's about my knitting. So I wanted to make that the overall focus. But you can still access my personal info (at your own risk, of course) by clicking on my profile link.

Here is a list of the on-line resources that helped make this possible. Check them out!
-Random Bytes (for the 3 Column version of Douglas Bowman's Minima)

-HTML Dog's CSS and HTML Beginner's Guide

-Photoshopsupport's tutorial on Blog Design and Templates


Knitting content will resume shortly. Ta!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, it looks fantastic. I was thinking about updating mine, but the problem is, I just don't have the time at the moment. Maybe someday!

Unknown said...

The new look is fantastic. I love it. And the 3 columns really make it stand out. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love the face lift. I've been thinking about changing my blog, but think I'll wait until the dead of winter when I'm bored out of my mind.

Katie Collette said...

Wow, I love it!

Sharah said...

The site is beautiful- you and Mr. V did a wonderful job creating a setup that is much easier on the eyes, and is pretty to look at! yea!

Pam said...

Hey Cathy. Thanks for the link :-)