Sunday, April 02, 2006

one way to kill a diet

I really don't consider myself a health nut or anything. I try to exercise (which normally consists of running) for about 40 mins 3-5 times a week (but I still don't consider myself to have an active lifestyle). I "strive for 5" on a daily basis. I don't eat red meat, and only eat chicken about 2-3 times a week. My problem, like most Americans and citizens of developed countries is that I eat TOO MUCH FOOD. Explosive-size portions! Even though the food that I eat really isn't bad, I just eat too much of it. Because it feels good to be full, right? Now Mr.V and I have been reflecting on our eating habits for the past few weeks and came to a conclusion: we eat too much. We have seconds for dinner, we snack, we gorge in our darker hours, and don't eat enough of the "good stuff". So, the last two weeks we've eliminated our snacking (not even buying anything, out of sight-out of mind), I'm not allowed to bake anything outside of Sunday breakfast, and we're eating smaller portions (yeah for leftovers!). For me personally, this isn't so much about loosing weight (though a couple pounds would be nice), it's more about being healthier (loosing some of the OMFG-I-ate-the-whole-bag guilt). After 2 weeks of reducing calorie in-take by just eating less of the same stuff (no celery and seaweed here) and eating fruits and veggies instead of chex mix or brownies I'm definately noticing a difference in the way I feel and a little on the scale. My running has improved because I'm not so weighed down by food (and I don't cramp as much either). I also think about the food eat. I savor my meals instead of inhaling them. And I think about what I really want to eat instead of the usual "graze first, think later" approach. Really, this is a good thing.

There is a point to this rambling. Honestly, I'm not looking for a congratulations or anything. It's really just a set up for what I'm about to show you. I can't say this journey has been a fairy tale so far. After about 2 weeks and me being the carb-loving-anti-Atkins person I am, I was craving something carby and bad. Because of the rules I couldn't buy anything or bake it just cuz, so I had to sneak it into my special sunday breakfast time. No regular pancakes would do. I chose Cinnamon Buns from Joy of Baking. They required a bit of effort. I had to prepare most of it last night, to let the dough rise and everything, let them stand for 30 mins in the morning before baking. Effort, indeed. But it was worth it.



Luckily, thankfully, I halved the recipe and made 4 jumbo size buns instead of 8 because these are definate diet killerz. I ate 2 of them, happily. They were delicious! The dough was sweet and warm and there was ample amounts of cinnamon-sugary goo. I am quite full, even now, and probably won't eat lunch (my stomach must be shrinking). Mr. V liked them, too. I substituted milk for the "light cream" it called for and it turned out fine. Also, it says to bake for 30 mins at 375, but mine came out a tad too overdone. Make sure to keep an eye on them.
I didn't because I was distracted by the infamous Jaywalker! What a Sunday! Here's another, for the road ;)

see the goo? goo is your friend. goo is good. the goo. is.... good.

3 comments:

Karin said...

yum! Looks really good!

Erin said...

MMMmmmmmm, you're making me drool over here!

Anonymous said...

ooooooo LOVE the gooooooo

Yummy, me want some now!

That was the most tempting post I've read today!